Using Zoom Meetings
What is Zoom Meetings?
Zoom Meetings is a tool faculty, students and staff can use for video and audio conferencing, collaboration, chat, and webinars across mobile devices, desktops, telephones, and room systems.
What is the benefit of using Zoom Meetings in Sakai?
The Zoom LTI integration with Sakai allows students and faculty to start and join Zoom meetings via a join link that is displayed on a Sakai course and share cloud recording links to the course.
Add the Zoom Meetings to your Sakai site.
Adding Zoom Meetings is just as easy as adding any other tool in Sakai.
Go to Site Info.
Choose Manage Tools.
Scroll to External Tools and check Zoom Meetings. Select Continue.
Upon confirming your selection, the Zoom Meetings tool will be displayed in the left sidebar. Selecting the Zoom Meetings tool displays the Sakai interface for Zoom Meetings.
- Click the Zoom icon in Sakai.
- Click Schedule a Meeting.
- Select the desired settings for the meeting.
- Topic: Choose a topic/name for your meeting.
- Description: Enter in an option meeting description.
- When: Select a date and time for your meeting.
- Duration: Choose the approximate duration of the meeting. Note that this is only for scheduling purposes. The meeting will not end after this length of time.
- Time Zone: By default, Zoom will use the time zone that you sent in your Profile. Click on the drop down to select a different time zone.
Recurring meeting: Check if you would like a recurring meeting, i.e. the meeting ID will remain the same for each session. This will open up additional recurrence options.
- Recurrence: Select how often you need the meeting to recur: Daily, Weekly, Monthly, or No Fixed Time. It can recur up to 50 times. If you need more than 50 recurrences, use the No Fixed Time option.
- The other recurrence options will depend on how often the meeting recurs. You can configure the meeting to end after a set amount of occurrences or have the recurring meeting end on a specific date.
- Registration: Check this option if your meeting will require registration. Instead of a join link for your participants, you will be provided a registration link. Read more about meeting registration.
- Host Video: Choose if you would like the host video on or off when joining the meeting. Even if you choose off, the host will have the option to start their video.
- Participant Video: Choose if you would like the participants' videos on or off when joining the meeting. Even if you choose off, the participants will have the option to start their video.
- Audio Options: choose whether to allow users to call in via Telephone only, Computer Audio only, Telephone and Computer Audio (both), or 3rd Party Audio (if enabled for your account).
- Dial in From: If Telephone only is enabled for this meeting, click Edit to select the dial-in countries that you would like included in the invitation. By default, this includes your Global Dial-In Countries listed in My Meeting Settings.
- Require Meeting Password: You can select and input your meeting password here. Joining participants will be required to input this before joining your scheduled meeting.
- Enable join before host: Allow participants to join the meeting without you or before you join. The meeting will end after 40-minutes for Basic (free) subscribers.
- Mute Participants Upon Entry: If join before host is not enabled, this will mute all participants as they join the meeting.
- Use Personal Meeting ID: Check this if you want to use your Personal Meeting ID. If not selected, a random unique meeting ID will be generated.
Enable Waiting Room: Check this if you want to enable Waiting Room for your meeting to manually admit attendees. Learn more about Waiting Room.
- Record the meeting automatically: Check this if you want the meeting to be automatically recorded. Select if you want it to be recorded locally (to your computer) or to the cloud (zoom.us/recordings).
- Alternative Hosts: Enter the email address of another Zoom user with a Pro license on your account to allow them to start the meeting in your absence. Read more about Alternative Host.
Starting or Joining a Meeting
When it is time for the scheduled meeting, students and instructors can access the Zoom meeting similarly.
- In the Sakai course, click the Zoom link.
- Next to the scheduled meeting, the instructor can click Start to launch Zoom and begin the meeting.
- Next to the scheduled meeting, the students can click Join to launch Zoom and join the meeting.
Access Meeting Cloud Recordings
Select the Cloud Recordings tab in the Zoom Meetings interface. Your previously recorded course-related Zoom meetings are displayed.