What is Gradebook?
The Gradebook allows instructors to:
- Enter grades and comments in an easy-to-use spreadsheet view.
- Auto-calculate course grades, with the ability to override any course grade.
- Define course letter grades and grading schema.
- Choose between point- or percentage-based grading.
- Add gradebook items for manually graded or offline activities.
- Collect and display scores from tools such as Tests & Quizzes, Assignments, and Forums.
- Restrict permissions so Teaching Assistants can only grade specific rosters or groups of students.
- Import grades from a spreadsheet (CSV) file.
- Export grades as a spreadsheet (CSV) file.
- Create extra credit items and/or categories.
- Organize grades into categories, and use categories to:
- Assign a weight to the category,
- Automatically drop grades in a specific category.
- Export a printer-friendly (PDF) version of individual student grades.
Students can view their own grades and comments in the Gradebook.
The instructor view of Gradebook (Grades screen) displays:
- Add Gradebook Item: Add new items.
- All Sections/Groups: Select to display students in a specific roster or group.
- Filter students: Search for students by name or user ID.
- View Columns: Show or hide gradebook columns.
- Item Order: View and organize all gradebook items in one screen.
- Group By Category: View by group if categories were added in the Settings.
- Bulk Edit: Select several items to release to students or include in grade calculations at once.
- Students: View the list of students ordered by first or last name.
- Course Grade: View currently calculated course grade.
- Gradebook items: Items including grades that have been entered, and Comments icons to display comments,
- Category Title: If items are grouped by category, the category is shown as a separate column.
- Category average: The average for items in a category.
Note: If a gradebook has categories, but items have not yet been assigned to a category, these items will display under the title Uncategorized.
The student view of Gradebook (Grade Report) includes:
- A Print button.
- Course Grade if released to students.
Display options, only if categories exist:
- Group by Category.
- Expand All: Show items in all categories.
- Collapse All: Hide items in all categories to only display category averages.
- Gradebook items, with options to sort by Grade, Due Date, or instructor Comments.